Thank you to everyone who watched the live stream and supported our virtual Gala! View the encore presentation of the 5th annual Spirit of Katharine Hepburn Award and exclusive interview with CHER on our YouTube channel. The campaign continues and contributions are still being accepted!
The Kate is honored to present the one and only Cher with the 5th annual Spirit of Katharine Hepburn Award, given to an individual who embodies the bold spirit, fierce independence and distinctive character of the legendary Hepburn. An Oscar, Grammy, Emmy and Kennedy Center honoree, Cher has enjoyed enormous success in the realms of film, TV, music, Broadway and as a global performer. A long time humanitarian, Cher most recently formed CherCares which helps supply much needed equipment to under-served communities. She has often cited Katharine Hepburn as an inspiration throughout her career.
Saturday, October 3 at 7:30 pm on the Kate’s YouTube channel (YouTube.com/user/TheKateCT) or our Facebook page. No tickets required, this is a FREE streaming event! Featuring an intimate interview with Cher and messages from special guests – past Award recipients Dick Cavett (2016), Glenn Close (2017), Ann Nyberg (2018), and Christine Baranski (2019) – plus, Chaz Bono, Bob Mackie, Jimmy Webb, Eileen Ivers, Stephanie J. Block, Nile Rodgers, Red Molly, Lucie Arnaz, Kandace Springs, Jarrod Spector & Kelli Barrett, Peter Asher, Ed Asner, Andy Cohen, and Anderson Cooper!
Support the Kate with a donation! Turn what you would have paid for a ticket and a fancy outfit into a tax-deductible gift. Text to give during the live stream or use our secure online form. *Gifts of $100 or more received by September 25th will be acknowledged in the closing credits. **Gifts of $25 or more include a SPECIAL MESSAGE TO CHER! Your 40 character (without spaces) message plus your name will be forwarded to Cher in a commemorative gala booklet.
Create a personal fundraising page or team and encourage friends to match your giving; it’s quick and easy using Give Lively! This crowdfunding tool allows you to set your own goal and invite others to help you reach it in support of the Kate.
Bid on unique items in the online auction from September 28th at noon through October 3rd at 9 PM (EDT).
Host a watch party – in person with your trusted circle of friends or online via Facebook.
Create a gala atmosphere at home! This year we want to highlight our local business community. Check out all of the Event Essentials* offered by local merchants in celebration of the Kate’s gala and please support them by ordering your essentials for the big night. Merchants interested in participating can download the Event Essentials Participation Form.
- The Monkey Farm, Old Saybrook – The Gala Special offered between 9/18 and 10/3. Mention the Kate for a two-shrimp cocktail and a Believe Bellini course for $10 (plus tax). Available for dine-in or take out. 860.388.4866
- Walt’s Market, Old Saybrook – Order Kate Hepburn’s favorite roast leg of lamb dinner (over roasted potatoes with asparagus, lamb gravy and mint jelly. Please order by 9/30. 860.388.3308
- Fiore Pizzeria & Restaurant, Old Saybrook – Their famous Chicken Parmigiano, Seafood Pizza, or more available for take-out. 860.388.2699
- Scotch Plains Tavern, Essex – The Chertini: Absolut pear vodka, apple juice, lemon juice & simple syrup. “I Got Two Babe” special: two 5 oz. filet mignon medallions seared and topped with Gorgonzola and roasted garlic in a red wine and shallot pan demi. Served with roasted potatoes and asparagus. For dine-in or take out. 860.662.4032
- Red Hen Restaurant, Old Saybrook – BELIEVE entree: Seared Atlantic cod with native corn and chorizo. Dessert option: caramelized pineapple and coconut layer cake. For dine-in or take-out. 860.388.8818
- Max Downtown, Hartford (shoreline pick up option available) Gourmet boxed steak dinner for two (for you to grill/heat at home), $99. Orders taken through 10/1. Colossal baked crab stuffed shrimp; two 12 oz. steak au poivre, loaded baked potatoes (double smoked bacon, cheddar cheese curd, chive), native tomato gratin, 4 cheddar pull-apart rolls, and local honey crisp apple croustade with caramel sauce. Order Online.
- Sweet Luna’s, Old Saybrook – A light, delicious dessert: Lemon sorbet in a lemon shell – dairy free and vegan! Please pre-order. 860.391.8194
- Dagmar’s Desserts, Old Saybrook – Celebrating two amazing women and icons with Cher inspired gingerbread cookies and Kate’s favorite brownies! Various quantities available now through 10/3 for pre-order. 860.661.4661
- Old Lyme Ice Cream Shoppe, Old Lyme – Mermaid Tails blue ice cream made with sweet pea powder and iridescent sprinkles and tails! 860.434.6942
- Bongo Ron’s Cigar & Lounge, Old Saybrook – The Sonny & Cher special: 2 Nat Sherman Timeless Collection premium cigars for $19.70. 860.388.2876
- Pasta Vita, Old Saybrook (and other locations) – The place to go for gourmet to go! Old Saybrook store Saturday hours are 8 am to 5:30 pm.
- Fromage Fine Foods, Old Saybrook – “I Got You ‘Cheese’ Babe!” – a delectable platter of cheeses, meats, and crackers for two or four people. Please call 24 hours ahead to order. 860.388.5750
- Seaside Wine & Spirits, Old Saybrook – our official cocktail is the BELIEVE Bellini and Seaside has you covered with Canella Bellini (sparkling wine with peach juice and a splash or raspberry) and an assortment of Prosecco (the main ingredient in a Bellini). 860.380.3015
- Pursuit of Pastry, Old Saybrook – Moonstruck Moonpies! A homemade marshmallow sandwiched between graham biscuits, dipped in chocolate. 860-.391.8687
- MAR Floral, Old Saybrook – The “BELIEVE Bouquet” makes a perfect centerpiece for our at-home gala dining table! A floral arrangement in bright and bold colors available as a wrapped bouquet ($40) or in a glamorous gold container ($55). Order by 10/1 for pick up on 10/2 or 10/3. 860.388.4670
*Orders/purchases must be made directly with the vendor; the Kate will not handle any transactions and is not responsible for restrictions or limitations placed on items or services.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I view the event? No tickets required! Access the virtual event for FREE from this page, our YouTube channel: YouTube.com/user/TheKateCT, or Facebook page. Tune in to this family-friendly event from your smart TV, tablet, computer, or phone.
What will my donation go to? Your gift will help the Kate to be able and ready to re-open when the time is right. Donations will directly benefit our performing arts presentations, community partnerships, and arts education programs.
How long will the virtual event last? Approximately one hour. We encourage you to link to the stream a bit early, you’ll know you’re in the right place when you see our countdown clock.
I can’t tune in—can I view at another time? Yes! An encore presentation of the event will be available on our website and Facebook pages a few days after the live stream.
How can I multiply my impact? You can set up your own fundraising page in mere minutes and encourage your friends to give. Your gift is tax-deductible and may also be eligible for an employee match.
How can I bid on auction items? This year’s auction is 100% online with no in-person/live bidding component. View items and place bids beginning September 28th on Bidding Owl. The auction will close at 9 pm EDT on October 3rd.
Will this be as boring as my other virtual meetings? How could anything involving Cher be boring? Not only will you be joining us in presenting Cher the award, but you’ll also watch an array of special guests’ congratulatory messages and a few musical numbers.
How can I share this or participate on social media? There are absolutely no geographic restrictions on who can view the Gala so feel free to share with your friends around the globe. You can write a congratulatory comment on the YouTube stream or tag the event on social media using the hashtag #believeintheKate
When I tune in, will others be able to see me? Nope, this is a one-way viewing experience.
Thank you to our generous sponsors!