BELIEVE! Saturday, October 3, 7:30 pm (EDT)
Join us for an entertaining virtual celebration with the presentation of the 5th annual Spirit of Katharine Hepburn Award to CHER!
The Kate is honored to present the one and only Cher with the 5th annual Spirit of Katharine Hepburn Award during BELIEVE!, our virtual gala on Saturday, October 3 at 7:30 pm (EDT). No tickets required, the event will stream for FREE on the Kate’s YouTube channel and our Facebook page. The award is given annually to an individual who embodies the bold spirit, fierce independence and distinctive character of the legendary Hepburn. This year’s virtual gala theme is in honor of Cher’s biggest multi-platinum No. 1 hit of the same name and the Kate’s positive belief in the future of the arts.
Cher, an Oscar, Grammy, Emmy and Kennedy Center honoree has enjoyed enormous success in the realms of film, TV, music, Broadway and as a global performer. A long time humanitarian, Cher most recently formed CherCares which helps supply much needed equipment to under-served communities. She has often cited Katharine Hepburn in scores of interviews as an inspiration throughout her career.
Appearances by past Award recipients Dick Cavett (2016), Glenn Close (2017), Ann Nyberg (2018), and Christine Baranski (2019. More special guests to be announced!
How to Join the Fun & Support the Kate!
- Watch the live stream event on Saturday, October 3 at 7:30 pm on the Kate’s YouTube channel (YouTube.com/user/TheKateCT) or our Facebook page. No tickets required, this is a FREE streaming event!
- BELIEVE in the Kate with a donation! Turn what you would have paid for a ticket and a fancy outfit into a tax-deductible gift. Text to give during the live stream or use our secure online form. *Gifts of $100 or more received by September 25th will be acknowledged in the closing credits. **Gifts of $25 or more include a SPECIAL MESSAGE TO CHER! Your 40 character (without spaces) message plus your name will be forwarded to Cher in a commemorative gala booklet.
- Host a watch party – in person with your trusted circle of friends or online via Facebook.
- Create a personal fundraising page or team and encourage friends to match your giving; it’s quick and easy using Give Lively! This crowdfunding tool allows you to set your own goal and invite others to help you reach it in support of the Kate.
- Bid on unique items in the online auction beginning September 28th (link coming soon!).
- Create a gala atmosphere at home! This year, as much as we will highlight the Kate’s mission, we also want to highlight our community. An Event Essentials Checklist* will be published by 9/28 and will feature menu items, products, and services offered by local merchants in celebration of the Kate’s gala. Merchants interested in participating can download the Event Essentials Participation Form.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I view the event? No tickets required! Access the virtual event for FREE from this page, our YouTube channel: YouTube.com/user/TheKateCT, or Facebook page. Tune in to this family-friendly event from your smart TV, tablet, computer, or phone.
What will my donation go to? Your gift will help the Kate to be able and ready to re-open when the time is right. Donations will directly benefit our performing arts presentations, community partnerships, and arts education programs.
How long will the virtual event last? Approximately one hour. We encourage you to link to the stream a bit early, you’ll know you’re in the right place when you see our countdown clock.
I can’t tune in—can I view at another time? Yes! An encore presentation of the event will be available on our website and Facebook pages a few days after the live stream.
How can I multiply my impact? You can set up your own fundraising page in mere minutes and encourage your friends to give. Your gift is tax-deductible and may also be eligible for an employee match.
How can I bid on auction items? This year’s auction is 100% online with no in-person/live bidding component. View items and place bids beginning September 28th from the link provided on www.thekate.org. The auction will close at 9 pm EDT on October 3rd.
Will this be as boring as my other virtual meetings? How could anything involving Cher be boring? Not only will you be joining us in presenting Cher the award, but you’ll also watch an array of special guests’ congratulatory messages and a few surprises.
How can I share this or participate on social media? There are absolutely no geographic restrictions on who can view the Gala so feel free to share with your friends around the globe. You can write a congratulatory comment on the YouTube stream or tag the event on social media using the hashtag #believeintheKate
When I tune in, will others be able to see me? Nope, this is a one-way viewing experience.