“The thing about life is that you must survive. Life is going to be difficult, and dreadful things will happen. What you do is move along, get on with it, and be tough. Not in the sense of being mean to others, but being tough with yourself and making a deadly effort not to be defeated.”
― Katharine Hepburn
YOUR SAFETY AT THE KATE
This policy is subject to change at any time
For entry to events beginning January 2 all patrons will be required to show either:
1) Proof of Vaccination = CDC vaccination card, photo copy, digital photo, digital based proof (My Chart, CT WiZ, Excelsior Pass) AND Matching photo ID (Driver’s license, passport, military/government ID)
2) Proof of Negative COVID Test = documented negative PCR test within 72 hours prior to entry, negative rapid test within 24 hours prior to entry AND Matching photo ID (Driver’s license, passport, military/government ID)
By entering the Kate, you agree to adhere to these policies and do your part in keeping yourself and your fellow patrons safe.
>All individuals regardless of vaccination status MUST WEAR A MASK correctly, covering your nose and mouth, while inside the building. Complimentary masks are available.
>Individuals may temporarily pull down their mask ONLY to sip a beverage- at their theater seat- and will reinstate their mask between sips.
>This policy does not pertain to artists/staff onstage who maintain a safe distance from the audience.
>There are no exceptions and interpretation of the policy is at the sole discretion of the Kate.
>Non-compliance will result in non-admittance or removal without refund.
Additional Steps the Kate is taking to keep you safe:
>Additional safety measures including enhanced cleaning and increased fresh air exchange will continue. The Kate has installed Wave-C, Bi-Polar Ionization Air Purifiers in the heating and cooling systems of the theater seating area.
>Patrons experiencing COVID-like symptoms may not to enter the building and should contact the Box Office for exchange options.
INCLUSION AS A CORE VALUE
• We welcome and engage patrons, members, sponsors, volunteers, and staff of diverse backgrounds, treating them with respect and integrity.
• We embrace all that makes our constituents unique and strive to be inclusive on the basis of our unique differences, both physical and ideological.
The Kate turned 10 in September of 2019!
Since our very first days, many friends have told us about chance encounters with Katharine Hepburn, a favorite show they’ve attended, or a special moment while volunteering at the Kate. From a brief paragraph to a long tale, personal or shared, sentimental or amusing – we want to hear from you!
Follow this link to share YOUR KATE STORY!
Follow this link to read some of the STORIES WE’VE RECEIVED!
The Katharine Hepburn Cultural Arts Center is a non-profit performing arts organization located in an historic theatre/town hall on Main Street in Old Saybrook. Originally opened in 1911, the building is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. After state-of-the art renovations, the center includes a 250-seat theatre that presents work in several genres including music, theater, opera, dance, comedy, film, and a variety of children’s programming. The theater lobby encompasses a small museum honoring Katharine Hepburn, Old Saybrook’s most celebrated resident.
The Katharine Hepburn Cultural Arts Center exists to present a diverse repertoire of cultural and performing arts, to provide educational opportunities in the arts, and to be a lasting legacy for America’s iconic actress.
- The Kate averages 20 performances a month or 240 performances a year.
- To date, there have been more than 1,500 performances of everything from ballet to magic, music to dance.
- The Kate serves nearly 45,000 children and adults each year.
- Specifically for children, the Kate offers a children’s performance series each season, brings Missoula Children’s Theater to town twice a year to allow young area thespians a chance to get up on stage and perform, and each summer hosts 5 weeks of Kate’s Camp for Kids, a week-long intensive introducing children ages 5-10 to the performing arts, and a two-week session of Summer Spotlight for ages 11-13 where kids are immersed in all facets of writing, composing songs, rehearsing, choreographing, designing and creating props, and learning about the technical aspects of live performance.
- Along with its live performances, the Kate has 3 satellite dishes and shows simulcasts from the National Theatre of London, the Metropolitan Opera, and the Bolshoi Ballet of Russia.
- Beginning in 2015, the Kate partnered with Connecticut Public Television on a new national series affectionately called ‘The Kate.’ This CPTV original series presents bold performers with something to say.
Just a few of the performers who have appeared at the Kate:
Photo: The Allman/Neville/Pitchell Show at the Kate
Ed Asner, Aztec Two-Step, Booker T, Karla Bonoff, Marc Broussard, Betty Buckley, Paula Cole, Celtic Tenors, Marc Cohn, Judy Collins, CT Ballet, Sheila E., Jonathan Edwards, Steve Forbert, Art Garfunkel, Ana Gasteyer, Richie Havens, Anne Heaton, Garth Hudson, Robin Hitchcock, Janis Ian, Eileen Ivers, Rickie Lee Jones, Lucy Kaplansky, Jorma Kaukonen, Zoe Keating, Patty Larkin, Jane Lynch, Melissa Manchester, Richard Marx, Raul Midon, Momix, Roger McGuinn, Graham Nash, Aaron Neville, Joan Osborne, Steven Page, Poco, Paula Poundstone, Pure Prairie League, Pousette-Dart Band, Graham Parker, Leon Redbone, Tom Rush, Rusted Root, Chris Smither, Mavis Staples, Al Stewart, Kiefer Sutherland, Livingston Taylor, Richard Thompson, Paul Taylor 2, Walter Trout, Suzanne Vega, Sam Waterson, Jimmy Webb, The Ann Wilson Thing, Rita Wilson, George Winston, Peter Yarrow, Jesse Colin Young, Buckwheat Zydeco.
Local organizations that regularly partner with the Kate include:
- Connecticut Public Television
- Chestnut Hill Concerts
- Eastern Connecticut Ballet
- Florence Griswold Museum
- Ladies Night Out for OSHS Safe Grad Night
- Lyme Academy
- Old Saybrook Chamber of Commerce
- Old Saybrook Public Schools
- Old Saybrook Youth & Family Services
- Salt Marsh Opera
- Stand Up and Speak Out
- The Saybrook Stage Company
- Vista Life Innovations